Monday, April 11, 2016

Croagh Patrick and Westport

This past weekend I spent a lot of time doing a lot of physical activity, in the place of climbing a mountain and biking nearly 15 miles. Croagh Patrick nearly killed me while I was walking up it, just because it was such a hike. Walking up Croagh Patrick, you start at nearly sea level, right along the West Irish coast, and climb to an elevation of 764 meters, or roughly 2506.56 feet. The climb was rough for me, I was on the mountain for nearly 2 1/2 hours, and I didn't quite make it all the way to the top, about 90% from what the people in front of me said. The view though, was absolutely stunning.







This trip came at a weird time for me. It was right after spring break, and the week right before was rough on me for a few reasons which I will not divulge in this particular media. Walking up this mountain, and having the time and the physical work to myself really let me think things through, and feel better about everything. It also gave me a huge opportunity to think about life in general, and all the things that I have experienced. I honestly kind of wish this was our last field trip, in reality, because having the time to think and reflect about the entire trip right before we left off would have been really beneficial to myself.

In all, this trip had the most impact on how I saw the world, and gave me the most to think about. Part of that is being where we were, and part of it was what had happened to me the week before. Writing this now though, and realizing just how I have changed and how everyone here on this trip has affected me, though, amazes me. I knew studying abroad would affect me, and change me in unpredictable ways, but looking back makes it so much different.

No comments:

Post a Comment