Sunday, February 14, 2016

Today's walk to Spiddal

I woke up around 11:30, and the cabin was in quite disarray, thanks to my cabin-mates. (Thanks guys!) I decided that I would go to Spiddal, and ended up going on my own, and I am quite glad I did. The weather was beautiful on the walk there, even a little warm. In just jeans and a t-shirt I was sweating by the end of the walk to Spiddal, which is about 30 minutes at the leisurely pace I took.

I walked over to the beach, which was actually showing because it was near low tide, I think, and ended up falling, but all was well. I walked a bit more around Spiddal, and around the docks to the other beach.

Unfortunately, by the time I was all the way over by the other side of the docks, it started sprinkling just lightly and getting colder. I stopped in a cafe and ate a sandwich and some hot chocolate to warm myself up.

I stopped at the Texaco on the way back and grabbed a few necessary food items, and headed back. It's weird how quickly the weather can change, because my arms were pretty damn cold in just a t-shirt on the way back.

On the way back I was thinking that Ireland reminds me of Nebraska, a little bit. A warmer island version of Nebraska. There is a lot of country side, and that became really clear to me on my train ride to Kilkenny, but more about that in another post.

I can't help but think about how great it would be to spend a year or two here working. The land is beautiful, the weather much more mild, and the people just as if not nicer than back home. That being said, though, there are small moments of homesickness. They may come in short bursts, but there come and go every so often. This walk today helped a lot with that, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment